For my inequality class, here are a few links to some brief bits of writing, audio, and video that relate to some of the issues we’ve been talking about for the past few weeks.
- David Brooks on “The Wrong Inequality“.
- Paul Krugman on “Graduates versus Oligarchs” (thanks Sam for the link).
- Greg Mankiw responding with a post on “Educating Oligarchs“.
- Will Wilkinson (The Economist) responding to Brooks/Krugman with a post entitled “Paul Krugman gets distracted“.
- M.S. (The Economist) with a post entitled “Washington’s rich, but the 1% are elsewhere“, complete with data and a nice map.
- Lane Kenworthy asking, “Were the Bush tax cuts worse for progressivity or for revenues?“, and providing an answer. Perhaps helpful for those who are not clear about the relationship between tax rates, progressivity, and revenues.
- A BBC Radio 4 Thinking Allowed podcast on “Changing Incomes” (starts about 13mins in) that has a discussion about social mobility.
- A video TED talk by Richard Wilkinson on “How economic inequality harms societies which covers the material from his (co-authored) “The Spirit Level” book.