For my inequality class, here are a few links to some brief bits of writing, audio, and video that relate to some of the issues we’ve been talking about for the past few weeks.
Apologies, but unless you are one of the people who has already explicitly made arrangements to see me today, I will not be available for my usual office hours of 3-5pm. A rescheduled class now clashes, so I’ll be changing the times going forward.
For my “Politics of Inequality” class, it’s time to start thinking about the op-ed response assignment. You’ll find some op-eds in the ‘popular readings’ sections of the course reading list, but here are a few more I turned up this weekend.
- Samuel Brittan, The Financial Times, October 6, 2011: Call off the misguided crusade against ‘inequality’
- Ed West, The Daily Telegraph Blog, May 23, 2011: An end to poverty, inequality and nationalism – the secular Left’s Rapture is just as implausible
- Polly Toynbee, The Guardian, October 28, 2011: Executive pay soars while the young poor face freefall. Where is Labour?
- Lynsey Hanley, The Guardian, October 20, 2011: Social mobility is not a myth
- Richard Littlejohn, The Daily Mail, August 12, 2011: The politics of envy was bound to end up in flames
- Richard Littlejohn, The Daily Mail, July 1, 2011: Winter of discontent? More like a summer of selfishness
- Melanie Philips, The Daily Mail, December 30, 2010: Sorry, Archbishop, but there IS a big difference between the deserving and undeserving poor
- Max Hastings, The Daily Mail, September 17, 2011: Looters in suits: Three years ago this week, Lehman Brothers crashed. Since then, Britain’s bankers have learnt nothing and have been let off the hook again
- Gene Kerrigan, The Irish Independent, September 25, 2011: Furthering inequality in divided society
- Paul Gillespie, The Irish Times, October 8, 2011: Criticism of capitalism itself needed
- Brian Nolan, The Irish Times, September 26, 2011: Recession has brought loss and deprivation but inequality has fallen
- Michael King, The Irish Times, September 1, 2011: Towards a more equal society
- Breda O’Brien, The Irish Times, August 13, 2011: Riots point to society’s broken moral compass
- John Waters, The Irish Times, August 12, 2011: Society pays high price for adopting materialism